Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2024 Thread: Can Anyone Stop the Chiefs?

Re: NFL 2024 Thread: Can Anyone Stop the Chiefs?

The Royals can use Kansas for leverage. Much like the Bengals could use Kentucky, Dayton, Columbus, etc. from your examples. So maybe it's the leverage of being able to move within the metro area.

As you point out, that probably doesn't matter nearly as much to the fans. I mean, a Braves fan might be kind of bummed that the Braves are out in the 'burbs, but the team is still in Atlanta (ish), so it's not like the fan lost his or her team. Way different than having your team move from Oakland to Vegas.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I wonder how the calculus has changed since there is no LA or Vegas to use as leverage? While the NFL is wildly popular, how many cities are out there without football teams, that would be able to support a NFL team and have the tax payers willing to foot the bill for a NFL stadium?

As a Bengals fan, it wouldn't bother me if they stayed local, but maybe moved across the boarder into KY or moved up to Dayton, etc. Even Columbus, oh well, I probably would go to as many games as I do now.

Maybe I am missing something, but I just don't see the a current city that many of these owners can use for leverage anymore.
    As a Bengals fan and Hamilton County resident, I would be doing cartwheels of joy if the Bengals threatened to move across the river, give us back our sales tax and riverfront venue they hold hostage all year for something that only happen 10 times a year.

That lease is coming up soon too, I think. I'm ready to change the locks at Paycor and issue the eviction notice, if they ask for even 1 dollar of assistance.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, that is not what happened. Modell just flat wanted to move the team to Baltimore.
    The irony of all of this is this is how Cincinnati got fleeced by Mike Brown in a sweetheart stadium deal by Cincinnati taxpayers afraid of losing the Bengals to Cleveland.

I think Tampa did as well. Anyone else?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The irony of all of this is this is how Cincinnati got fleeced by Mike Brown in a sweetheart stadium deal by Cincinnati taxpayers afraid of losing the Bengals to Cleveland.

Buffalo says hold my beer...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    There's still StL and San Diego. OAK is probably a lost cause but I can see them now as a threat for MLB teams to move there empty as it may be.
    San Diego voted numerous times no to build a new stadium, I don't see that as a realistic option.

Maybe? St Louis, but I would have to think it would be an ownership group out there willing to pay for a new stadium.

I feel like for so long Vegas wanted a football team and they had the funding secured prior to the Raiders leaving Oakland.

Kronke wanted to build his village out in LA, pretty much had everything secured prior to moving. Didn't he pay for the majority of the project?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    San Diego voted numerous times no to build a new stadium, I don't see that as a realistic option.

Maybe? St Louis, but I would have to think it would be an ownership group out there willing to pay for a new stadium.

I feel like for so long Vegas wanted a football team and they had the funding secured prior to the Raiders leaving Oakland.

Kronke wanted to build his village out in LA, pretty much had everything secured prior to moving. Didn't he pay for the majority of the project?
    Sure but as long as those cities don't have an NFL team, they can still be used as leverage. They can always claim it will be different this time and their current city will usually cave in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I could be misremebering, but I don't think the Bengals were ever in play to move to Cleveland. It was Baltimore that was the threat, at least until Modell moved the Browns there in the middle of the night.

9. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-06-2024)

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I was referring to after the Browns left for Baltimore. Cincinnati (and others) threatened to move to Cleveland and used it to get new stadium deals.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I was referring to after the Browns left for Baltimore. Cincinnati (and others) threatened to move to Cleveland and used it to get new stadium deals.

I lived in Cincinnati then and don't remember any credible threats of the Bengals replacing the Browns. The most I could find was this, and the Cleveland mayor even shot it down:

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/199...outputType=amp

14. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-06-2024)

As I recall Bengals (and everyone else for 20 years) used LA as their threat back in the day.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    KC's situation isn't quite as blatant as some of the others, at least. I'm pretty sure they were just asking to extend a sales tax that residents have been paying for years, and the Chiefs owners were going to pay $1 billion and the Royals owners $300 million. Not that the citizerns should be carrying the burden through their taxes at all, but certainly not as bad as some places (like, say, Cincinnati, for example!).
    As bad as Cincinnati? I don’t know what you mean but the Bengals kicked a lot of money into their stadium. Of course all it really was was fans seat license money. In other words a business was ultimately passing on its overhead to its customers. That happens everywhere and would likely happen in KC too

The real difference between the two is that the increase in taxes for the Bengals stadium did not automatically expire thus needing another vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And very little of value was lost.
    Football fans in those cities may feel differently

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Football fans in those cities may feel differently

I don't know about that.

St Louis at least had a proposal for a new stadium but Kroenke already had one foot out the door. They cared more about the Cardinals than the Rams or Blues anyways.

Same with San Diego and the Padres.

I kinda feel bad for Oakland with losing the As but the Warriors and Raiders were given sweetheart deals that Oakland would have never been able to match. At least the Warriors are still across the bay but id imagine that's dirty words there.

Turn Off Ads?