Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 OSU Football

The Buckeye Bomber

Re: 2010 OSU Football

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Don't be like Canes' fans.

The kick returns did happen. Ohio State did allow them. They were fair and square and good plays by Miami. The game should have been close because Miami made enough plays to keep it close.

That kind of talk is stuff you'd hear from the "swagger." Miami has tremendous athletes with good lines on both sides of the ball. I think Ohio State was a better team, but let's not take credit away from the Hurricanes for making big plays on special teams. It takes two to tango.
    The game was close on the scoreboard but it rarely ever felt close on the field. Yes, the returns happened but the Hurricanes were (for the most part) dead in the water beyond their return game.

The Return game is absolutely a valid way to score but it doesn't represent sustained high quality play the way that offensive potency does. Hence, it was close on the scoreboard - but once OSU started to kick off to the upbacks and towards the sidelines, it never really felt close again on the field.

Dominant win, IMO.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think, even more than the special teams play, the other area for concern was in the red zone offense. The Buckeyes seem way too content to settle for FG's when TD's can put games on ice. This has been a problem time and time again the past couple years where great field position or a good drive stall out in the red zone and OSU settles for 3. Against great teams you have to take advantage of chances.

Great win. Pryor is amazing, love watching him run. You just don't expect a guy who's 6'6 240 to be able to reverse field and blow by everyone the way he does.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by ThornWithin81 View Post
    The game was close on the scoreboard but it rarely ever felt close on the field. Yes, the returns happened but the Hurricanes were (for the most part) dead in the water beyond their return game.

The Return game is absolutely a valid way to score but it doesn't represent sustained high quality play the way that offensive potency does. Hence, it was close on the scoreboard - but once OSU started to kick off to the upbacks and towards the sidelines, it never really felt close again on the field.

Dominant win, IMO.
    I agree with this, I never felt like (at least after the first quarter) they were going to be able to sustain anything to come back and win. I just hate it when fans say "it wouldn't have been close, if..." I mean after all, all facets of the game count on the scoreboard and making mistakes are part of winning games.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Pryor is amazing, love watching him run.
    I follow Dispatch beat writer Rob Oller on Twitter, so I had a little different feeling about seeing Pryor run in the second half. Oller mentioned that trainers put Pryor in a "beefy" knee brace after his last series in the first half. After reading that, I cringed every time Pryor got tackled.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I agree with this, I never felt like (at least after the first quarter) they were going to be able to sustain anything to come back and win. I just hate it when fans say "it wouldn't have been close, if..." I mean after all, all facets of the game count on the scoreboard and making mistakes are part of winning games.
    I don't think I ever said it would not have been close if something happened. I said that nothing was more frustrating than giving up touchdowns on special teams.

The Buckeyes completely outplayed Miami in every area except special teams, when that happens the game should not be close.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I don't think I ever said it would not have been close if something happened. I said that nothing was more frustrating than giving up touchdowns on special teams.

The Buckeyes completely outplayed Miami in every area except special teams, when that happens the game should not be close.
    You added the game shouldn't have been close. But it's neither here nor there. I agree they outplayed Miami in most facets. But special teams are very important and I disagree a game shouldn't be close just because a team outplays another in other areas. Special teams have a huge impact on games and the lack of success in this department goes against why Tressel's teams have usually been successful to begin with. That they were terrible on Saturday is a good reason why it should have been close.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Big game this Saturday!

Making my first trip to Madison and I'm really excited.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Big game this Saturday!

Be careful up there. Have heard of some real rough treatment of opposing fans especially before/during/after night games.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Be careful up there. Have heard of some real rough treatment of opposing fans especially before/during/after night games.
    Indeed. It gets really drunk at night up there in Madison. They like their beer.

Travel in packs, they pick off stragglers and strays.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Big game this Saturday!

I used to live there. Dress for chilly weather!

Also, arrive early and claim your seat. The ushers at Camp Randall aren't particularly helpful when someone is sitting in your seat if you're a fan of the other team. I only went to see the Buckeyes there once of the 4 times they played in Madison while I was a resident. Once was enough.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 10-13-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I used to live there. Dress for chilly weather!

Also, arrive early and claim your seat. The ushers at Camp Randall aren't particularly helpful when someone is sitting in your seat if you're a fan of the other team. I only went to see the Buckeyes there once of the 4 times they played in Madison while I was a resident. Once was enough.
    Good advice. I usually like to get to the stadium early for away games anyways to "take it all in" or whatever. I got these tickets from a Badger season ticket holder and booster so I'm hoping they won't be too close to students.

Good advice. I usually like to get to the stadium early for away games anyways to "take it all in" or whatever. I got these tickets from a Badger season ticket holder and booster so I'm hoping they won't be too close to students.
    I'll echo the sentiments of others. I've heard some genuine horror stories. I hope your going with the buddies and not the Mrs. I spoke with one co-worker who refuses to go back. They said they they treated his wife the worst. Things you wouldn't say to your worst enemy's wife. Sadly, Wisconsin won that night against the Bucks. Imagine if they lose?

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I'll echo the sentiments of others. I've heard some genuine horror stories. I hope your going with the buddies and not the Mrs. I spoke with one co-worker who refuses to go back. They said they they treated his wife the worst. Things you wouldn't say to your worst enemy's wife. Sadly, Wisconsin won that night against the Bucks. Imagine if they lose?

Best of luck to you!
    Actually taking the Mrs. to this one. She's been to a couple other road games with me, but I do expect this to be the worst and I've tried to warn her about what it's probably going to be like. I like going to games with her though since she usually keeps my smack talking in check.

I was at the OSU/Purdue game in 2002 (Holy Buckeye Game) and I can't imagine a worse crowd than Purdue that day.

What a nightmare start for the Buckeyes. Down 14-0 5 minutes into the game.

Turn Off Ads?