Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: "Who in the Hell is Mel Kiper?",...The 2024 NFL Draft

Re: "Who in the Hell is Mel Kiper?",...The 2024 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As Bengal fans we’ve seen this play out before

Both Cedric O and Carman were injured projects when we drafted them highly and it didn’t work out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, we have. Cedric and Carman were awful picks and rightfully criticized at the time. Their careers weren't surprising. Billy Price was another terrible injured pick (pec injury from the combine). So, their last 3 high OL picks were all injured and were all absolutely terrible picks. Let's hope and pray it's different this time, but it doesn't make sense to draft someone who is injured.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Likes:

LiferJim (04-27-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Unless I'm missing something, Mims is not injured. He hurt his hamstring in the offseason, but if he's not perfectly fine right now, he certainly will be by the start of training camp. I've not heard anything that indicates the ankle injury is still an issue, either.

5. Likes:

KoryMac5 (04-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, Mims is not injured. He hurt his hamstring in the offseason, but if he's not perfectly fine right now, he certainly will be by the start of training camp. I've not heard anything that indicates the ankle injury is still an issue, either.
    With all his interviews I’m amazed no one asked him or Bengal coaches if he’s 100% healthy right now. We have such a horrible media in Cincinnati

He had same surgery Bowers had which was tightrope ankle surgery after a high sprain it speeds up the recovery time. He ended up hurting the hamstring running his 40 at the combine. He’s told Jordan Reid of ESPN he is 100 percent healthy.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 04-26-2024 at 09:39 PM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

He had ballerina toe surgery or something like that.

He is a large human being. It might take a little longer to recover.

- - - Updated - - -

HOUSH!

- - - Updated - - -

If Housh likes him, I like him.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

"Who in the Hell is Mel Kiper?",...The 2024 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Not sure its fair to conclude that Mimms has had trouble staying on the field. Here is how his development went:

Year 1: Reserve Tackle getting mop up duty. Pretty common with O-Linemen, especially ones coming from a small school.
    Year 2: Played behind a 1st round draft pick. Saw reserve duty while starting in the CFP.
    Year 3: Started at RT. Missed time due to an injury.

I guess I find it unfair to say that he has trouble staying on the field when he has had one season that was affected by injury.

I also wouldn't say having a first round draft pick work out is pure luck. Its like saying, yea you scouted and liked the guys raw abilities, liked his film when he was on the field, developed him at T during his rookie season, but its pure luck that it worked out.

Well he didn’t play much until his third year and missed time with an injury. He also hurt his hamstring running at the combine. I’m just saying I myself would have preferred a player who appeared to be more of a sure thing. I realize the are no “sure things”, but there are players who are a lot less risky on paper.

As far as luck, I often hear when a player doesn’t pan out for injuries or other reasons, that the Bengals had bad luck. If that’s the case, then when a risky player does pan out, they had some good luck.

I do like that the defensive line was addressed in rounds two and three, plus the wide receiver from Bama. That said, I wish we could have gotten a decent tight end, though I know pickings were slim.

Last edited by LiferJim; 04-27-2024 at 12:48 AM.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    Well he didn’t play much until his third year and missed time with an injury. He also hurt his hamstring running at the combine. I’m just saying I myself would have preferred a player who appeared to be more of a sure thing. I realize the are no “sure things”, but there are players who are a lot less risky on paper.

As far as luck, I often hear when a player doesn’t pan out for injuries or other reasons, that the Bengals had bad luck. If that’s the case, then when a risky player does pan out, they had some good luck.

I do like that the defensive line was addressed in rounds two and three, plus the wide receiver from Bama. That said, I wish we could have gotten a decent tight end, though I know pickings were slim.

Without the injuries the Bengals would have never even got a look at him at 18...the other Tackles still on the board all had various warts and question marks as well. Take the guy with high upside and let him learn from Trent and Zeus.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Without the injuries the Bengals would have never even got a look at him at 18...the other Tackles still on the board all had various warts and question marks as well. Take the guy with high upside and let him learn from Trent and Zeus.
    Given our recent history with these types of offensive linemen pics, it’s easy to see why I’m skeptical. We all know the definition of insanity. That said, my fingers are crossed that this one works out differently.

Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I'm guessing Erick All or Cade Stover here in the 4th.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-27-2024)

Erick All. Hope he can stay healthy. Seems like a risky pick, but those sometimes work

2024 NFL Draft best name - Ruke Orhorhoro.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I believe there was a guy drafted named Storm Duck
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

texasdave (04-28-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Overall im very pleased with the outcome of the draft

1 (23) - WR Brian Thomas - LSU
    2 (48) - DT Maason Smith - LSU
    3 (96) - CB Jarrian James - FSU
    4 (114) - OT Javon Foster - Missouri
    4 (116) - DT Jordan Jefferson - LSU
    5 (153) - CB Deantre Price - Mississippi
    5 (167) - RB Keilan Robinson - Texas
    6 (212) - K Cam Little - Arkansas
    7 (236) - DE Myles Cole - Texas Tech

Thomas replaces Ridley and has the skill set to potentially be a #1 eventually.
    Taking care of the trenches with 3 of the next 4 picks.
    Clearly leaning on the mind of new ILB coach Matt House who was the DC at LSU for the past 2 years.
    Taking 2 different CBs in the middle rounds. Corner is a position that is tough to draft, I like the idea of hitting on one later in the draft as compared to taking one at the top of your draft and they bust.
    Getting a kicker. Very very happy with that pick.
    Getting 3 additional picks to move from #17 to #23 and still getting what we wanted in the 1st round. From that deal we got a 5th (#167) and took RB Keilan Robinson, plus a 2025 3rd and 2025 4th round pick.

Grade - A
    Very generous grade here. Mel Kiper gave them a B-

This composite grade chart is interesting. It shows 20 different gurus and their grades. It shows the Steelers as the best in this draft. Two gave the Jags an A-. The other 18 gave them a worse grade

Name:  draft grades 2024.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  168.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Rocky Lombardi is better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Very generous grade here. Mel Kiper gave them a B-

This composite grade chart is interesting. It shows 20 different gurus and their grades. It shows the Steelers as the best in this draft. Two gave the Jags an A-. The other 18 gave them a worse grade

Name:  draft grades 2024.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  168.7 KB
    Year after year, the Eagles not only draft the players I want the Bengals to take, but they trade for the players I want the Bengals to trade for.

I gave the Bengals a "B" yesterday, with both the highest ceiling and the lowest floor.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-29-2024 at 07:44 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

April 29th, 2024 at 12:29pm CST by Adam La Rose

The Eagles were busy on the trade front during this year’s draft, executing eight pick swaps over three days. That figure ties the record for the most in a single year since the event took on its current seven-round format. Philadelphia’s efforts with respect to trades were notably aimed at acquiring extra draft capital in 2025. When speaking about that strategy, general manager Howie Roseman noted that the relatively shallow pool of prospects in this year’s class was a key factor. Added eligibility due to the pandemic as well as NIL deals led to just 58 underclassmen declaring for the 2024 draft.

That figure could change next year, though, something the Eagles are anticipating given their actions over the weekend. Philadelphia added three 2025 selections – a third-rounder from the Dolphins, a fourth-rounder from the Lions and a fifth-rounder from the Texans – through pick swaps. The team will also receive a second- or third-round selection next year through the Haason Reddick trade. As Roseman noted, the Eagles will also have a smaller UDFA class than usual in 2024. “I think a big part of that is because we made a conscious decision after the season to try to get guys from team’s practice squads where we had some tape to watch,” Roseman said (via PHLY’s Zach Berman). “We felt like that was just for us kind of a unique opportunity that we wanted to try and take advantage of based on this class and knowing that this was a different class, and so it wouldn’t have a ton of the same opportunities in the undrafted market that maybe you’ll get next year…. I think it will be back to normal next year.”

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...draft-strategy

21. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-30-2024)

Turn Off Ads?