Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2024 Thread: Can Anyone Stop the Chiefs?

Re: NFL 2024 Thread: Can Anyone Stop the Chiefs?

This is happening in Cleveland right now too. They are threatening to leave downtown and go to the burbs with a dome. The people of Cuyahoga County are like "don't threaten us with a good time!"

Sick of paying the taxes on it, have fun in Lake County or whatever with Watson.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-05-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

The Bears bought land in Arlington Heights to use as leverage with the city of Chicago.
    The worst thing about that was losing Arlington Race Course. That place as a gem.

The Kansas 'burbs make as much sense as a location as the current Arrowhead location. And I don't really see downtown as a good option in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Throughout history, no matter the medium, at some point, enough becomes enough.

I'm surprised it has taken this long for the general public to finally flat out refuse to pay for billionaires' toys.

The real victory would be if they take their grift to the next town over, and the next town after that, and get the same response.

We shall see.
    San Diego and St. Louis stood up to them as did Oakland. Of course none of them have NFL teams now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-05-2024),Sea Ray (04-06-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is happening in Cleveland right now too. They are threatening to leave downtown and go to the burbs with a dome. The people of Cuyahoga County are like "don't threaten us with a good time!"

Sick of paying the taxes on it, have fun in Lake County or whatever with Watson.
    Seems like this happened once before and the Browns ended up in Baltimore as a result.

I read sometime ago that the Browns were looking into playing in Columbus at the Shoe until a new stadium was built.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    San Diego and St. Louis stood up to them as did Oakland. Of course none of them have NFL teams now.
    Oakland has lost all three professional franchises. I wouldn't consider them a role model.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It's hard to know what to do. The choice these days seems to be "either pay for all of my toys, or you get nothing."

Because they have the leverage.

But if everyone, including "Omaha" or wherever, refused to pay for their toys, then they would no longer have leverage.

It has to be everyone though. As long as there's another sucker one town over, the grift will still work.

This kind of extends to many things going on these days, doesn't it...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

10. Likes:

Chip R (04-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Seems like this happened once before and the Browns ended up in Baltimore as a result.
    Yeah, that is not what happened. Modell just flat wanted to move the team to Baltimore.

KC's situation isn't quite as blatant as some of the others, at least. I'm pretty sure they were just asking to extend a sales tax that residents have been paying for years, and the Chiefs owners were going to pay $1 billion and the Royals owners $300 million. Not that the citizerns should be carrying the burden through their taxes at all, but certainly not as bad as some places (like, say, Cincinnati, for example!).

And very little of value was lost.

14. Likes:

Chip R (04-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    It's hard to know what to do. The choice these days seems to be "either pay for all of my toys, or you get nothing."

Because they have the leverage.

But if everyone, including "Omaha" or wherever, refused to pay for their toys, then they would no longer have leverage.

It has to be everyone though. As long as there's another sucker one town over, the grift will still work.

This kind of extends to many things going on these days, doesn't it...
    On a small scale it kinda reminds me of growing up in northeastern Kentucky.

Walmart wanted to locate in a town where I lived. There was a prime location there near the AA highway that would have been perfect for development.

The city council actively fought to keep them out, namely because one of the council members at the time owned a local grocery store which would have suffered.

So needless to say the nearest Walmart to there is the neighboring county which is 45 minutes away and the Kmart there closed about 4 years ago.

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    KC's situation isn't quite as blatant as some of the others, at least. I'm pretty sure they were just asking to extend a sales tax that residents have been paying for years, and the Chiefs owners were going to pay $1 billion and the Royals owners $300 million. Not that the citizerns should be carrying the burden through their taxes at all, but certainly not as bad as some places (like, say, Cincinnati, for example!).
    By the way, I had it backwards. Royals were going to contribute $1 billion and Chiefs $300 million. That makes more sense given that the Royals would have been getting a new stadium while the Chiefs just want to renovate Arrowhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    By the way, I had it backwards. Royals were going to contribute $1 billion and Chiefs $300 million. That makes more sense given that the Royals would have been getting a new stadium while the Chiefs just want to renovate Arrowhead.
    Interesting.

I guess this is where it really pays off to keep the population stupid.

Because the average fan can't afford a Chiefs ticket these days anyway. It's free to watch them on tv, so it doesn't matter where the stadium is. And the Royals aren't even trying to compete. So why would they average fan care where the Chiefs or Royals go?

If anything, it makes more sense to let them both walk and get the sales tax bumped back down. Maybe for the Royals fans out there, if the team moves far enough away, they can watch them on MLB.tv without being blacked out.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

The Royals are definitely trying to win. They may have only decided to put forth some effort this offseason because this particuar vote was looming, but they actually are trying. Now.

I wonder how the calculus has changed since there is no LA or Vegas to use as leverage? While the NFL is wildly popular, how many cities are out there without football teams, that would be able to support a NFL team and have the tax payers willing to foot the bill for a NFL stadium?

As a Bengals fan, it wouldn't bother me if they stayed local, but maybe moved across the boarder into KY or moved up to Dayton, etc. Even Columbus, oh well, I probably would go to as many games as I do now.

Maybe I am missing something, but I just don't see the a current city that many of these owners can use for leverage anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I wonder how the calculus has changed since there is no LA or Vegas to use as leverage? While the NFL is wildly popular, how many cities are out there without football teams, that would be able to support a NFL team and have the tax payers willing to foot the bill for a NFL stadium?

As a Bengals fan, it wouldn't bother me if they stayed local, but maybe moved across the boarder into KY or moved up to Dayton, etc. Even Columbus, oh well, I probably would go to as many games as I do now.

Maybe I am missing something, but I just don't see the a current city that many of these owners can use for leverage anymore.
    There's still StL and San Diego. OAK is probably a lost cause but I can see them now as a threat for MLB teams to move there empty as it may be.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?