Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Bullpen 2024

Re: Reds Bullpen 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Santillan is nearly perfect in ST... he's a non-roster invitee so it's take him to Cincinnati or lose him. We could sign him and option him but if he can keep doing what he's doing he finally looks like he belongs. Interesting position to be in for once.
    He’s under a minor league contract, so it’s not mlb or bust with him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Santillan is nearly perfect in ST... he's a non-roster invitee so it's take him to Cincinnati or lose him. We could sign him and option him but if he can keep doing what he's doing he finally looks like he belongs. Interesting position to be in for once.
    Why would they lose him? He's signed to a minor league contract. If he doesn't make the team, he'll pitch in Louisville.

I think that's where he'll end up. If they keep him, they'll lose somebody else.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I would have never converted Santillan to the pen, and his development (with injuries) has been bumpy. But if he’s now pitching successfully I’d get him to the big league pen as soon as reasonably possible.

It’s a matter of looking forward rather than backwards. He’ll be 27 soon, entering prime years, still pre-arb for another season. Sometimes you have to act on projection rather than chase prior year performance by pitchers with more mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I would have never converted Santillan to the pen, and his development (with injuries) has been bumpy. But if he’s now pitching successfully I’d get him to the big league pen as soon as reasonably possible.

It’s a matter of looking forward rather than backwards. He’ll be 27 soon, entering prime years, still pre-arb for another season. Sometimes you have to act on projection rather than chase prior year performance by pitchers with more mileage.
    Makes alot of sense. Same can be said for Antone. How much longer will he stay healthy? If he's healthy now and pitching well, he needs to be in the pen. Wish they could flip Sims in his final year for a couple A level arms and make a roster spot for Antone and Santillan.

Now with the addition of Wilson and with Martinez in the rotation initially for Lodolo, it's looking like:
    Diaz
    Pagan
    Suter
    Wilson
    Sims
    Farmer
    and 2 of Antone/Cruz/Moll
    Last edited by UPRedsFan; 03-19-2024 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Makes alot of sense. Same can be said for Antone. How much longer will he stay healthy? If he's healthy now and pitching well, he needs to be in the pen. Wish they could flip Sims in his final year for a couple A level arms and make a roster spot for Antone and Santillan.

Now with the addition of Wilson and with Martinez in the rotation initially for Lodolo, it's looking like:
    Diaz
    Pagan
    Suter
    Wilson
    Sims
    Farmer
    and 2 of Antone/Cruz/Moll
    Moll's a lock unless he is on the IL. So it comes down to Anton vs Cruz. Antone has to be the favorite there.

I don't see a spot right now for Santillan. But there will be one at some point.

7. Likes:

mth123 (03-19-2024)

Remind me does Antone have options? I know Cruz does. I agree on Moll it's just a question of whether he's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Remind me does Antone have options? I know Cruz does. I agree on Moll it's just a question of whether he's ready.
    Antone has options.

So Moll begins on IL.

Pen is Diaz, Farmer, Wilson, Suter, Antone, Cruz, Pagan, Sims.

11. Likes:

Fil3232 (03-22-2024),Kingspoint (03-22-2024),Ron Madden (03-22-2024)

David Bell said that Sam Moll is healthy he's just going to Louisville he got a late start at training camp.

13. Likes:

Powder River (03-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    David Bell said that Sam Moll is healthy he's just going to Louisville he got a late start at training camp.
    Yeah...I'm not worried about Moll. We do have many good options to take his place, but he'll be a welcome addition when he's ready. Love seeing how Antone continued this Spring what he showed at the end of last season returning from his long absence.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

15. Likes:

MrRedSkull (03-24-2024),Powder River (03-23-2024),Ron Madden (03-22-2024)

I am very worried about the pen. With injuries and guys over performing last year that I think will be hard to repeat

Tejay Antone's incredible comeback continues as he makes the Reds' Opening Day roster

Good story
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...er/ar-BB1knMXM

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-23-2024),Powder River (03-23-2024),RED VAN HOT (03-23-2024),Tuff Nut (03-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Tejay Antone's incredible comeback continues as he makes the Reds' Opening Day roster

Good story
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...er/ar-BB1knMXM
    Have to remember that Tejay was All Star quality in 2021. Until his injury.

If he’s anything like that pitcher, he can be a major positive factor on the team.

This year, the pen is much deeper, so the Reds can avoid 2021’s heavy overuse of Tejay.

As I recall, in 2021, Tejay and Sims were used so heavily that it was a matter of concern. Indeed, there was discussion on RedsZone on that very point.

So let’s hope that we get peak Tejay, the Reds use him judiciously, and that will help boost Reds in 2024.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-23-2024 at 08:29 AM.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-23-2024),MrRedSkull (03-24-2024),Powder River (03-23-2024),Ron Madden (03-23-2024),Tuff Nut (03-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Have to remember that Tejay was All Star quality in 2021. Until his injury.

If he’s anything like that pitcher, he can be a major positive factor on the team.

This year, the pen is much deeper, so the Reds can avoid 2021’s heavy overuse of Tejay.

As I recall, in 2021, Tejay and Sims were used so heavily that it was a matter of concern. Indeed, there was discussion on RedsZone about how those two relievers were being used very heavily.

So let’s hope that we get peak Tejay, the Reds use him judiciously, and that will help boost Reds in 2024.
    1. My biggest concern with the pen is whether Diaz is in the process of crashing or if late last season was an aberration.
    2. I think when Lodolo returns, the combo of Martinez and Suter will provide a lot of year over year improvement in the pen.
    3. They'll have Moll back in a couple of weeks and have him for a full season so more improvement there.
    4. Sims, Farmer and Wilson are quality relievers who can provide competent innings.
    5. I'm most skeptical of Pagan and his HR profile in GABP, but he's had a lot of solid pitching in his history.
    6. Antone was good 3 years ago - ancient history IMO, so I view him as more of a question mark.
    7. They'll have Cruz, Young and others in AAA. If Santillan proves to be for real, he may be a late inning hammer that the team is missing. They could also turn to guys like Richardson and Spiers at some point.

If Diaz has another good year, the pen will be the strength of the team no matter what happens with Antone. If Antone is back, that's just more good news for a pen that looks pretty good IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-23-2024 at 08:43 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-23-2024),Powder River (03-23-2024),Tuff Nut (03-23-2024)

I think this ST was more of a balancing act, due to the injuries this rotation/BP incurred last year, between the arms getting work in; but also backing it down a bit, exercising caution.

I wouldn't try to evaluate this bullpen's performance until at least the end of the first month when arms get stretched out more, guys are getting into a more of a routine.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?