Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Reds Bullpen 2024

Re: Reds Bullpen 2024

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    I think it’s gonna be Legumina.
    You may be right. They need a guy who can pitch a couple of innings tonight if needed. Spiers likely needs another day of rest.

Martinez can come back to the rotation for a few starts until Montas returns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sam Moll is back in the Reds' bullpen
    On Tuesday, the Cincinnati Reds’ bullpen took a big step toward getting back to full strength. The Reds activated reliever Sam Moll, who started the year on the injured list with a left shoulder impingement, before Tuesday’s game.

With Moll back in the bullpen, the Reds have an arsenal of left-handed relievers that the team hasn’t had in a few years. Between Moll, Brent Suter and Justin Wilson, the Reds have three veteran left-handed options in the mix to get important outs.

“I add more depth to the bullpen,” Moll said. “It’s a lot of great arms down there and guys who get the job done. It’s exciting to be back.”

He doesn’t overpower hitters or generate a lot of swings and misses, but Moll stands out with his ability to force ground balls and weak contact against standout hitters.
    Continue Reading Here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...st/ar-AA1nxj0n

4. Likes:

Fil3232 (04-23-2024),goreds2 (04-23-2024),HokieRed (04-23-2024)

Who is going down from this bullpen? Cruz? Surely not. Moll? Someone is about to have to go down and I have no idea who it will be.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Who is going down from this bullpen? Cruz? Surely not. Moll? Someone is about to have to go down and I have no idea who it will be.
    Yes, when Montas comes back, somebody has to go. Moll, Cruz and Diaz are the guys with options. I don't think any of those guys go. Pagan, Martinez and Suter are the guys they brought in. It won't be them. That leave Farmer, Sims and Wilson and any of those guys will surely be claimed if placed on waivers. I'm guessing Wilson will suddenly develop a soft tissue injury of some kind and go rehab for a couple of weeks. Then they'll do it again when somebody else needs rest and Wilson gets activated.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-24-2024 at 07:10 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I am guessing Phantom IL stint. Wilson would be the most obvious candidate. He doesn't even pitch that much.

In recent years they usually had 2 spots for the AAAA shuttle, constantly swapping those 2 spots out to cycle in (mediocre) fresh arms.

This year they seem to have made the bullpen and rotation an extra two spots deep so they can use the IL to cycle in MLB arms instead of AAA to shuttle in replacement arms. They also went out and signed an MLB contract (Wilson) when injuries piled up instead of relying on whatever AAAA reliever happens to be in the org.

It's a much-improved strategy. There were threads and threads of handwringing all offseason about which board favorites would have to go to AAA to make room (ie Williamson) but obviously it hasn't been a problem as a pitching staff is never 100% healthy at any given moment.

9. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I haven't done any research on this but it looks to me like Fernando Cruz is as good as anyone in the Reds pen at getting hitters to swing and miss.
    Fernando sure came through with some big swing and misses last night.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-24-2024 at 09:15 AM.

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    This year they seem to have made the bullpen and rotation an extra two spots deep so they can use the IL to cycle in MLB arms instead of AAA to shuttle in replacement arms. They also went out and signed an MLB contract (Wilson) when injuries piled up instead of relying on whatever AAAA reliever happens to be in the org.

It's a much-improved strategy. There were threads and threads of handwringing all offseason about which board favorites would have to go to AAA to make room (ie Williamson) but obviously it hasn't been a problem as a pitching staff is never 100% healthy at any given moment.
    True story.

The wheels could fall off at any moment - I'm still not clear how yesterday's lineup scored any runs, much less 8 - but the front office certainly had an offseason plan and then executed on it. Depth, depth, depth. Yes, they've had some bottom-feeder opponents to start the year, but last year's April squad would have been losing these games and worn down the bullpen besides. Good, efficient team-building. Let's hope the AA/AAA arms develop and turn the rotation into a killer.

13. Likes:

Powder River (04-24-2024),WrongVerb (04-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yes, when Montas comes back, somebody has to go. Moll, Cruz and Diaz are the guys with options. I don't think any of those guys go. Pagan, Martinez and Suter are the guys they brought in. It won't be them. That leave Farmer, Sims and Wilson and any of those guys will surely be claimed if placed on waivers. I'm guessing Wilson will suddenly develop a soft tissue injury of some kind and go rehab for a couple of weeks. Then they'll do it again when somebody else needs rest and Wilson gets activated.
    I suggested this off-season that Reds consider dealing Lucas Sims. He’s been a good reliever for them, but has had injuries, lot of mileage, these guys don’t last forever. He’s not had the best beginning to the season. He’ll probably get on track but I would be ok going with Gibaut and/or Santillan.

You have to look forward with bullpens, you want a guy at peak, and I’m not sure Lucas is there. I’m sure somebody will want him in a small trade, if Reds go that route.

Nothing against Lucas, he’s been fine for Reds, but just looking ahead.

15. Likes:

Mitri (04-27-2024),WrongVerb (04-27-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I suggested this off-season that Reds consider dealing Lucas Sims. He’s been a good reliever for them, but has had injuries, lot of mileage, these guys don’t last forever. He’s not had the best beginning to the season. He’ll probably get on track but I would be ok going with Gibaut and/or Santillan.

You have to look forward with bullpens, you want a guy at peak, and I’m not sure Lucas is there. I’m sure somebody will want him in a small trade, if Reds go that route.

Agreed. Sims is the guy I didn’t want on the roster. Never felt confident when he entered the game. And he’s been awful to start the year. Trade him or he’s the one to get a “sore back” issue warranting an IL stint.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

To bring-up Gibaut or Santillan, they would need to cut a second guy. Neither Gibaut nor Santillan can be sent back down once they are activated. So if we cut loose Sims to make room for Montas with plan to replace Sims with Gibaut or Santillan, they are right back to having to cut somebody else to make room for one of Gibaut or Santillan and then those guys can't be sent down if they don't do the job.

I don't see Gibaut as an 8th inning type. He's more of the multi-inning type.

I'd like to see Martinez, Suter and Gibaut as the multi-inning guys who each pitch 2 to 3 inning stints twice per week. That makes one available every day. Diaz, Moll and Cruz would be the late inning guys. That leaves your pick of 2 from Pagan, Farmer, Wilson, Sims and Santillan as the guys to round out the pen, but none of those guys can be sent down once active. The guys with options happen to be the best guys - Diaz, Moll and Cruz - so any move will risk losing someone.

If Alex Young ever comes back, he can be added to the mix. At least he has an option.

If they could trade a couple of those out of options guys for a solid RH Bat who can play RF against LHP, that would be the move to make.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-28-2024 at 10:06 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

Marc D (04-28-2024)

I suggest only pitch Pagan on the road and Suter at GABP.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    To bring-up Gibaut or Santillan, they would need to cut a second guy. Neither Gibaut nor Santillan can be sent back down once they are activated. So if we cut loose Sims to make room for Montas with plan to replace Sims with Gibaut or Santillan, they are right back to having to cut somebody else to make room for one of Gibaut or Santillan and then those guys can't be sent down if they don't do the job.

I don't see Gibaut as an 8th inning type. He's more of the multi-inning type.

I'd like to see Martinez, Suter and Gibaut as the multi-inning guys who each pitch 2 to 3 inning stints twice per week. That makes one available every day. Diaz, Moll and Cruz would be the late inning guys. That leaves your pick of 2 from Pagan, Farmer, Wilson, Sims and Santillan as the guys to round out the pen, but none of those guys can be sent down once active. The guys with options happen to be the best guys - Diaz, Moll and Cruz - so any move will risk losing someone.

If Alex Young ever comes back, he can be added to the mix. At least he has an option.

If they could trade a couple of those out of options guys for a solid RH Bat who can play RF against LHP, that would be the move to make.
    Yes, I expect both Montas and Gibaut to be with Reds again soon. Gibaut did too well last season to be kept at AAA.

As expressed, I’d look for a trade of Sims. My eighth inning reliever in winning games would be Fernando Cruz. Secondarily, I’d use Suter in the eighth.

Whom else might Reds drop? Don’t know although Reds might not feel the need to have three lefty relievers.

Fernando Cruz

After dominating over his first 12 appearances, Fernando Cruz finally had one of those days.

Tied 2-2 in the 7th, he allowed the first three Padres to reach and then served up a grand slam to Jake Cronenworth.

Fernando's ERA jumped from 1.59 to 4.63.

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/l...o-take-series/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-02-2024 at 07:31 AM.

The four runs reliever Fernando Cruz allowed Wednesday on two seventh-inning singles, a walk and Jake Cronenworth’s grand slam were the most he has allowed in any of 85 career appearances.

The bullpen’s “King Cobra” had a 1.59 ERA in 12 appearances this season before then, with some of the highest-leverage success in the majors the first month.

“He’s human,” David Bell said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-02-2024 at 08:34 AM.

Turn Off Ads?