Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

Re: 2024 Cincinnati Bengals: Bounce Back?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Huh? Your post I replied to mentioned that you figured last year he must not have interviewed well, among other possible reasons, to explain why he didn't get a head job. I mentioned that last year, during those rounds of interviews, he reportedly was very close to landing the Cardinals' job. If that's true, I'm not sure how that supports him not interviewing well. I'd say the reason he didn't get a sniff this offseason had a lot more to do with the 2023 Bengals defense than any interviewing he did the previous offseason.
    I would say someone interviewed better for the Cardinal job, hence they didn't go with him. Maybe my recollection is flawed. I thought he had quite a few first interviews last year and only the Cardinals called him back for a 2nd one. If he's only had the Cardinals interested in him in 2 yrs then I'd say there's a myriad of reasons, including the poor season we had in 2023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I would say someone interviewed better for the Cardinal job, hence they didn't go with him. Maybe my recollection is flawed. I thought he had quite a few first interviews last year and only the Cardinals called him back for a 2nd one. If he's only had the Cardinals interested in him in 2 yrs then I'd say there's a myriad of reasons, including the poor season we had in 2023
    I mean, if Brian Callahan can get a job based on his body of work as Andy Richter to Conan O'Brian's offense, then I would think Lou Anarumo should get a shot somewhere. Although, I confess, I don't know how many friends and family members he has in the NFL, so lack thereof would certainly hurt his chances.
    I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

4. Likes:

Todd Gack (02-06-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I mean, if Brian Callahan can get a job based on his body of work as Andy Richter to Conan O'Brian's offense, then I would think Lou Anarumo should get a shot somewhere. Although, I confess, I don't know how many friends and family members he has in the NFL, so lack thereof would certainly hurt his chances.
    Anarumo actually built a defense more on his own accord. There is no Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase (well, mostly Burrow) on the defensive side of the ball carrying an entire team like there is on the offensive side.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Anarumo actually built a defense more on his own accord. There is no Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase (well, mostly Burrow) on the defensive side of the ball carrying an entire team like there is on the offensive side.
    Hendrickson is probably the only star on that side of the ball currently. The cupboard was pretty bare when he got here, Atkins was aging and WJ III and Dunlap were not exactly enamored with Lou's style. I think they did spend a good amount of dollars over there in that first FA wave...during Lou's 2nd year. I would imagine he had a lot to say about what kind of players he wanted on that side of the ball.

Hendrickson
    Reader
    Trade for Hill
    Hilton
    Chido
    Bell

They definitely could use another star player on D though besides Hendrickson.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Hendrickson is probably the only star on that side of the ball currently. The cupboard was pretty bare when he got here, Atkins was aging and WJ III and Dunlap were not exactly enamored with Lou's style. I think they did spend a good amount of dollars over there in that first FA wave...during Lou's 2nd year. I would imagine he had a lot to say about what kind of players he wanted on that side of the ball.

Hendrickson
    Reader
    Trade for Hill
    Hilton
    Chido
    Bell

They definitely could use another star player on D though besides Hendrickson.
    Yeah, I don't think there's any disagreement here. I think what Lou has done is vastly more impressive than anything our offenseive coaches have done.

Yeah, I don't think there's any disagreement here. I think what Lou has done is vastly more impressive than anything our offenseive coaches have done.
    That's the disagreement

I think they are equally impressive...one side was draft and develop the other was through FA restocking.

This team was in tatters when both Zac and Lou got here...now the question is can Zac and Lou get to the next level. I like both coaches going forward with this team...Lou is the longest tenured DC in the NFL and that consistency matters.

We've spent a lot of draft capital on the defense in recent years. It's up to Lou to develop that

That's the disagreement

I think they are equally impressive...one side was draft and develop the other was through FA restocking.

This team was in tatters when both Zac and Lou got here...now the question is can Zac and Lou get to the next level. I like both coaches going forward with this team...Lou is the longest tenured DC in the NFL and that consistency matters.
    LOL. . .. our entire offense is about Burrow and Chase. We lucked into both. Zac thinks he's so good that we don't even need Tight Ends to throw passes to. BUT, he will let Tanner Hudson throw passes.

Meanwhile, our defense has a bunch of mid level players that Lou transformed into a Top 10 defense and THE reason we made a Super Bowl run the last two years. Our offensive coaches are so inept at developing our OL that we had to spend a lot of money to protect our most valuable asset. Zac hired Jim Turner for crying out loud!

Korey, it's OK to criticize Zac Taylor every once in a while. The only thing Zac is good for is stability.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We've spent a lot of draft capital on the defense in recent years. It's up to Lou to develop that
    We've drafted backups on defense the last two years.

Logan Wilson and Germaine Pratt were good before this past year.
    Eli Apple was actually a serviceable CB in this defense.
    We traded for BJ Hill because of Lou.
    CTB has and will continue to develop.
    Battle had a great first year for a 3rd round pick.

We've developed most of our defense. Question is still out for the backups we just drafted.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 02-08-2024 at 08:22 AM.

LOL. . .. our entire offense is about Burrow and Chase. We lucked into both. Zac thinks he's so good that we don't even need Tight Ends to throw passes to. BUT, he will let Tanner Hudson throw passes.

Meanwhile, our defense has a bunch of mid level players that Lou transformed into a Top 10 defense and THE reason we made a Super Bowl run the last two years. Our offensive coaches are so inept at developing our OL that we had to spend a lot of money to protect our most valuable asset. Zac hired Jim Turner for crying out loud!

Korey, it's OK to criticize Zac Taylor every once in a while. The only thing Zac is good for is stability.

- - - Updated - - -

We've developed most of our defense. Question is still out for the backups we just drafted.
    If they're backups then there's a problem. Logan Wilson and Pratt were drafted lower than Dax Hill and Miles Murphy. They weren't drafted to be backups

Interesting hire:

Justin Rascati is the Bengals new passing game coordinator...spent the past 2 seasons with the Vikings as asst line coach. New position for the Bengals...they have never done that before.

Kragthorpe to QB coach
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 02-08-2024 at 11:49 AM.

Brad Kragthorpe as QB coach

Justin Korvacs as DB coach

Justin Rascati as pass game coordinator.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Chad joins Marvin Lewis as a Raiders coach: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/2/7...kson-ochocinco

Deion Sanders poaches the Bengals DB coach for defensive coordinator position: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/202...ers-buffaloes/
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

- - - Updated - - -

and yet the D was bottom of the barrel awful last season...I like Lou but you are hilarious...

Pratt and Wilson both regressed last season, Hill has not taken a step forward. Zach Carter is in danger of being cut...

The Defense is talented because they targeted younger athletic guys primed for second contracts...Hendrickson, Hilton, Bell...really didn't need much development. Lou is good with making pieces fit but not sure I have seen the development you are raving about.

As far as Zac I am fine with him as a head coach just don't love the play calling...and unlike you I can separate Taylor the head coach from Taylor the play caller.

and yet the D was bottom of the barrel awful last season...I like Lou but you are hilarious...

Pratt and Wilson both regressed last season, Hill has not taken a step forward. Zach Carter is in danger of being cut...

The Defense is talented because they targeted younger athletic guys primed for second contracts...Hendrickson, Hilton, Bell...really didn't need much development. Lou is good with making pieces fit but not sure I have seen the development you are raving about.

As far as Zac I am fine with him as a head coach just don't love the play calling...and unlike you I can separate Taylor the head coach from Taylor the play caller.

Any head coach with Burrow and Chase would be doing just as well as Zac. Admit it. Our defense was the reason we made a super bowl run and the reason we were barely above .500 this year.

Zac let Joe practice and let him get hurt in a meaningless August practice and made it worse.

Hopefully Zac Taylor is taking notes on how to use double passes. It's always nice to have someone not throwing it into whatever you call a 6 man coverage across the field.

Also note that SF offense isn't exactly rolling either. . . . Bengals did this after like 3 or 4 straight TD drives.

Turn Off Ads?