Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast

Thread: 2023 NCAA Football: PLAYOFF?!?!

Re: 2023 NCAA Football: PLAYOFF?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The demise of the football Big East. The Big East is a wonderful basketball league still.

Yeah, I knew Mizzou didn't sound right, but I was thinking someone came with Arkansas. Probably South Carolina from the Metro.
    Technically, yes, but the Big East as a conference was effectively dead. It was only resurrected for non-football sports when the AAC members foolishly sold the naming rights for pennies on the dollar to the non-football schools, as I'm sure you know. Had that not happened, the conference was dead. Thus, I consider the current iteration Big East 2.0 rather than some continuation of the original conference.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Technically, yes, but the Big East as a conference was effectively dead. It was only resurrected for non-football sports when the AAC members foolishly sold the naming rights for pennies on the dollar to the non-football schools, as I'm sure you know. Had that not happened, the conference was dead. Thus, I consider the current iteration Big East 2.0 rather than some continuation of the original conference.
    Totally understand, but for branding purposes us Big East fan types are not really allowed to acknowledge that!

4. Likes:

Boss-Hog (02-02-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Why not just let these guys have the 1 & Done rule also?
    Do we care about academics for these athletes? Or are they just employees of the university just like professors and janitors?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

GAC (02-28-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Do we care about academics for these athletes? Or are they just employees of the university just like professors and janitors?
    IMO, they are now. NIL totally changed the game in more ways than one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-02-2024)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I made that comment in jest. I understand a lot of 18–20-year-olds don't have the body to play in the NFL. But to your point, they already kind of are just employees. With NIL and the transfer portal, this is what it has become. I am OK with the idea of college athletes being able to make money off of NIL, but I also think that the initial NIL rules need some adjustment so that it's not basically a free-for-all.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

10. Likes:

Chip R (02-02-2024)

When you follow the logic of “players derserve to get paid, and paid their fair worth” the next step is “why should the football program be subsidizing the synchronized swimming team, and lowering the players earnings…while the coaches make millions and millions.” That’s where it falls apart.

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-02-2024),Revering4Blue (02-02-2024)

https://x.com/petethamel/status/1753...gxwYJ5KNUDGyPw

Sources: The SEC and Big Ten are set to announce that they are setting up an advisory committee. It’s expected to look at the entire college sports landscape and solutions within it.
    Storm’s coming…

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-06-2024),Chip R (02-02-2024),RedTeamGo! (02-02-2024),Revering4Blue (02-02-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    When you follow the logic of “players derserve to get paid, and paid their fair worth” the next step is “why should the football program be subsidizing the synchronized swimming team, and lowering the players earnings…while the coaches make millions and millions.” That’s where it falls apart.
    I need this whole thing to stick together for three more years to get my non-revenue athlete through. So all of these crazy ideas about college sports sound wonderful....starting in the 2027-28 academic year!

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-06-2024),RedTeamGo! (02-02-2024),Revering4Blue (02-02-2024),Roy Tucker (02-02-2024),Slyder (02-05-2024),WVRed (02-06-2024)

This article plays it out pretty well…

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ourselves/amp/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

This article plays it out pretty well…

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ourselves/amp/
    I don't see a link to the article on that page, just the headline. I found another place that had the story.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-big-ten...172832810.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Sounds like Tennessee is in trouble
    “For the reasons provided herein, Plaintiffs’ Motion for Preliminary Injunction is granted,” the decision said. “It is hereby ordered that, effective immediately, Defendant NCAA; its servants, agents, and employees; and all persons in active conce11 or participation with the NCAA, are restrained and enjoined from enforcing the NCAA Interim NIL Policy, the NCAA Bylaws, or any other authority to the extent such authority prohibits student-athletes from negotiating compensation for NIL with any third-party entity, including but not limited to boosters or a collective of boosters, until a full and final decision on the merits in the instant action.

“It is further ordered that, effective immediately, the NCAA is restrained and enjoined from enforcing the Rule of Restitution as applied to the foregoing NIL activities until a full and final decision on the merits in the instant action.”
    Tennessee wins round one. Don't mess with Rocky Top

https://www.aol.com/judge-grants-inj...205358152.html

Reggie Bush is being forgiven

Reggie Bush is getting his 2005 Heisman Trophy back, as ESPN has learned that the Heisman Trust will announce Wednesday the formal "reinstatement" of the trophy to Bush amid what it calls "enormous changes in the college football landscape."

The Heisman Trust's decision comes after Bush forfeited his Heisman Trophy in 2010 in the wake of significant NCAA sanctions for USC, which included Bush receiving improper benefits during a Trojans career that spanned from 2003 to 2005.

As part of the decision Wednesday, the Heisman Trust is returning the Heisman Trophy to Bush and a replica to USC. Bush will again be invited to all future Heisman Trophy ceremonies, beginning in the 2024 season.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rophy-returned

21. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (04-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wouldn't have given it back in the first place. Good for him.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This Peny Boone recruitment is weird:

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...r-to-kentucky/

Started at Maryland, transferred to Toledo, went to Louisville and didn't even make it through spring practice before entering the portal again.

Kentucky was looking to add him and since he can't transfer enough credit hours it has fallen through.

Why does this matter? The NCAA in this scenario is using academics to keep players from bouncing from school to school. Just curious to see how many more "academic issues" pop up moving forward.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This Peny Boone recruitment is weird:

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...r-to-kentucky/

Started at Maryland, transferred to Toledo, went to Louisville and didn't even make it through spring practice before entering the portal again.

Kentucky was looking to add him and since he can't transfer enough credit hours it has fallen through.

Why does this matter? The NCAA in this scenario is using academics to keep players from bouncing from school to school. Just curious to see how many more "academic issues" pop up moving forward.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    It does seem incongruent but I will say that a player going to his 4th school isn't really that interested in getting a degree. Of course a lot of players aren't interested in that even if they are staying put.

I don't know. It just seems like college sports is trying to have it both ways. They want the rah rah atmosphere of colleges but they also are professional organizations.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-02-2024)

Turn Off Ads?