Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023-24 Ohio State Men's Basketball

Re: 2023-24 Ohio State Men's Basketball

Watching OSU play against Northwestern is like watching Kansas play against Ball St or something. It’s not even a game. NORTHWESTERN.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Watching OSU play against Northwestern is like watching Kansas play against Ball St or something. It’s not even a game. NORTHWESTERN.
    I have an Uber coupon and get 6% cash back on my credit card for ride shares. I’d be more than happy to cover Holtmann’s trip back to wherever the hell he came from.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

4. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-28-2024)

I need a team to root for in college basketball or I just can't get into it so Holtmann is personally killing me. Really missing the early-mid Matta years, those were fun.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Is the reason why OSU, Michigan, and Penn State, are at the bottom of the B10 standings (basketball) because these programs simply prioritize their football program over basketball? Or just bad coaching/recruiting?

I don't follow college BB much any more. My golfing buddy is an addict, and says they need to fire Holtmann LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Is the reason why OSU, Michigan, and Penn State, are at the bottom of the B10 standings (basketball) because these programs simply prioritize their football program over basketball? Or just bad coaching/recruiting?

I don't follow college BB much any more. My golfing buddy is an addict, and says they need to fire Holtmann LOL
    Ohio State has the resources to essentially be the Florida Gators of the B1G to Indiana's Kentucky. They could get a good coach, problem is like everyone else getting adjusted to NIL.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

2023-24 Ohio State Men's Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Ohio State has the resources to essentially be the Florida Gators of the B1G to Indiana's Kentucky. They could get a good coach, problem is like everyone else getting adjusted to NIL.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    This.

And it goes without saying IU and OSU are two of, if not the, biggest underachieving programs given their inherent resources and talent proximity.

Michigan could also be right there with the right coach - Beilein had them humming like Matta previously had Ohio State humming - who can re-establish the Detroit pipeline. They also lost a ton of talent from last season and haven’t replenished.

Penn State, even though they have a nice on-campus arena, is an entirely different story. They are treated similarly to most SEC schools from the standpoint of fandom. Just something to pass the time with until football season. It also doesn’t help that they lost an excellent coach to Notre Dame; one of their best teams in history was bushwhacked by the cancelled ‘20 NCAA Tournament and the State of Pennsylvania - with the exception of the basketball-crazed Philadelphia area - basically treats the sport of basketball as an afterthought. Football and Hockey are first priorities in most of the state.

That said, PSU is in their first season with new coach from VCU. They can turn it around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-28-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

With OSU and UM it’s 100% coaching right now. OSU has a ton of highly talented players.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    This.

And it goes without saying IU and OSU are two of, if not the, biggest underachieving programs given their inherent resources and talent proximity.

Michigan could also be right there with the right coach - Beilein had them humming like Matta previously had Ohio State humming - who can re-establish the Detroit pipeline. They also lost a ton of talent from last season and haven’t replenished.

Penn State, even though they have a nice on-campus arena, is an entirely different story. They are treated similarly to most SEC schools from the standpoint of fandom. Just something to pass the time with until football season. It also doesn’t help that they lost an excellent coach to Notre Dame; one of their best teams in history was bushwhacked by the cancelled ‘20 NCAA Tournament and the State of Pennsylvania - with the exception of the basketball-crazed Philadelphia area - basically treats the sport of basketball as an afterthought. Football and Hockey are first priorities in most of the state.

That said, PSU is in their first season with new coach from VCU. They can turn it around.

There has always been a level of apathy with OSU basketball. In my four years at OSU I never went to one OSU basketball game. When I was there they ran the student tickets pretty poorly, didn't give them good seats, and it really showed. During the mid Matta years things were rocking. They also moved the students to better seats. There used to be a running joke when I was at OSU that they would have people reading a book at the OSU game. IMO the Schott is a perfect example of bigger is not better. Its just a stale environment. But the thing with OSU basketball is it doesn't start getting fan interest until football is over. That won't really change.

Something happened after the 20-21 season that Holtman has struggled to rebound from. Its odd because after that season they had two one and done guys who really came into their own as the season went along. And this year, the roster isn't terrible, I think Gayle Jr and Thorton are good college backcourt. Battle is the type of transfer who can really make an impact. In previous years they really missed on the transfers. I was in the pro-Holtman camp until the past few weeks. Its the same story year in year out with this team. They get off to good starts, have a lull in the middle of the season, and then slog through the end. Heck their in-game issues continue to persist. There tends to be a chunk of 10 minutes in every game where they just can't score. It happens each and every game, and pretty much buries them in a hole they struggle to dig out of.

Is PSU, IU football? I don't think they ever will have a program that is anymore than a 7-10 seed in the tournament.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    There has always been a level of apathy with OSU basketball. In my four years at OSU I never went to one OSU basketball game. When I was there they ran the student tickets pretty poorly, didn't give them good seats, and it really showed. During the mid Matta years things were rocking. They also moved the students to better seats. There used to be a running joke when I was at OSU that they would have people reading a book at the OSU game. IMO the Schott is a perfect example of bigger is not better. Its just a stale environment. But the thing with OSU basketball is it doesn't start getting fan interest until football is over. That won't really change.

Something happened after the 20-21 season that Holtman has struggled to rebound from. Its odd because after that season they had two one and done guys who really came into their own as the season went along. And this year, the roster isn't terrible, I think Gayle Jr and Thorton are good college backcourt. Battle is the type of transfer who can really make an impact. In previous years they really missed on the transfers. I was in the pro-Holtman camp until the past few weeks. Its the same story year in year out with this team. They get off to good starts, have a lull in the middle of the season, and then slog through the end. Heck their in-game issues continue to persist. There tends to be a chunk of 10 minutes in every game where they just can't score. It happens each and every game, and pretty much buries them in a hole they struggle to dig out of.

Is PSU, IU football? I don't think they ever will have a program that is anymore than a 7-10 seed in the tournament.
    Agree with the Schott and Holtmann takes. The further away from Matta roster-wise, the worse it has gotten.

PSU hoops to IU football is an interesting comp. I believe IU football receives better support. Still, the’20 PSU hoops team climbed as high as 9 in the rankings. It likely would have done some damage - Sweet 16 or better- had there been a tournament. But, yeah, they have largely flamed out early in NCAA play. Their biggest NCAA win in my lifetime occurred in their Atlantic 10 days: 1991 against UCLA in the first round in Syracuse.

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    With OSU and UM it’s 100% coaching right now. OSU has a ton of highly talented players.
    I wonder when the last time that tOSU, Michigan, and Indiana all finished below .500 in conference play the same year?

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-06-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I wonder when the last time that tOSU, Michigan, and Indiana all finished below .500 in conference play the same year?
    It’s an excellent question. Maybe never?

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-30-2024),dubc47834 (02-06-2024)

Ohio State blows an 18 point second half lead… at home.

Almost impossible to do. Yet it was done.

Unbelievable.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post

Unbelievable.
    Twice. They have done it twice this year.

There is absolutely no reason Holtmann should still be employed by the university tomorrow. This is beyond absurd. OSU is the laughingstock of college basketball. Have been for 2 years.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Unbelievable.
    I am honestly amazed.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-06-2024)

Unbelievable.
    But that is not the first tme they've done that this year is it?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?