Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023-24 Ohio State Men's Basketball

2023-24 Ohio State Men's Basketball

9-2 Ohio State plays UCLA next.

12/16/2023 vs. UCLA Atlanta, Ga. 3:00 P.M. est. on CBS.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2023-24 Ohio State Men's Basketball

The loss against Penn State was inexcusable.

4. Likes:

goreds2 (12-15-2023)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    The loss against Penn State was inexcusable.
    And just when I was gonna have the Bucks as a sleeper FF team...

Good bounce back win!

7. Likes:

goreds2 (12-16-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    And just when I was gonna have the Bucks as a sleeper FF team...
    Holtmann is not a good coach
    What would you say.....ya do here?

They have not won a road game since January of 2023.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-24-2024),Sea Ray (01-24-2024)

This is a good Nebraska team.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-24-2024),Sea Ray (01-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Holtmann is not a good coach
    bump

- - - Updated - - -

This is a good Nebraska team.
    OSU once again went up big early and then made zero adjustments and got blown out in the 2nd half.

It is almost as if it is a coaching issue.

14. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-24-2024)

What is Holtmann's buyout?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    bump

- - - Updated - - -

OSU once again went up big early and then made zero adjustments and got blown out in the 2nd half.

It is almost as if it is a coaching issue.
    Nebraska is a goofy team though. They made a like 7 really stupid three pointers. That said OSU was having success inside early, Nebraska made one adjustment and as far as I could tell OSU never adjusted to that and the offense looked terrible for 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Nebraska is a goofy team though. They made a like 7 really stupid three pointers. That said OSU was having success inside early, Nebraska made one adjustment and as far as I could tell OSU never adjusted to that and the offense looked terrible for 30 minutes.
    It's because Holtmann is an awful coach. He should have been fired after last season. Gene Smith has personally ruined this basketball program.

Holtmann is *the* worst in-game college basketball coach I've ever seen. I know there's been worse elsewhere--obviously--and maybe even a couple currently working in D1 right now. Hard to fathom, but I accept that being a strong possibility.

The first 5-10 minutes make it clear that they have a game plan, but it's rigid and often feels too scripted. He is bad at making adjustments. BAD. When the pressure is on, his teams struggle with inbounding and moving the ball down the court. Basic stuff.

I literally cannot remember a single time he's taken a timeout, drawn up a play, and it panning out. I'm not kidding. Like, I'm sure it's happened but I can't remember when it actually happened. And God help us if we're ever in a last shot scenario, because it's already over.

All of these things make him look clueless, even if he isn't. I remember a game against Minnesota last season where both coaches were mic'd up. During a huddle, Minnesota's coach was strategizing, drawing up plays and counter-plays, and his guys were engaged and clearly knew the expectations. When it turned to Holtmann, he was clapping and playing cheerleader to players who looked disconnected and confused. I remember the whiteboard he held being completely empty.

Buckeyes lost the game. One of two Big Ten wins for Minnesota.

Holtmann is not bad at developing players. A lot of them have gone onto the next level and played well enough. But he can't coach a cohesive team. Offenses are baffling, defenses are soft, and the overall vibe of the team is just boring. It's hard to watch. In fact, I've watched far less college basketball under his regime than I thought possible. It used to make me sad, but now I see the silver linings (more time for other things).

I hope Ohio State moves on. The sooner the better.
    I've got my pride, I drink my wine

19. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-24-2024),RedTeamGo! (01-24-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
    Holtmann is *the* worst in-game college basketball coach I've ever seen. I know there's been worse elsewhere--obviously--and maybe even a couple currently working in D1 right now. Hard to fathom, but I accept that being a strong possibility.

The first 5-10 minutes make it clear that they have a game plan, but it's rigid and often feels too scripted. He is bad at making adjustments. BAD. When the pressure is on, his teams struggle with inbounding and moving the ball down the court. Basic stuff.

I literally cannot remember a single time he's taken a timeout, drawn up a play, and it panning out. I'm not kidding. Like, I'm sure it's happened but I can't remember when it actually happened. And God help us if we're ever in a last shot scenario, because it's already over.

All of these things make him look clueless, even if he isn't. I remember a game against Minnesota last season where both coaches were mic'd up. During a huddle, Minnesota's coach was strategizing, drawing up plays and counter-plays, and his guys were engaged and clearly knew the expectations. When it turned to Holtmann, he was clapping and playing cheerleader to players who looked disconnected and confused. I remember the whiteboard he held being completely empty.

Buckeyes lost the game. One of two Big Ten wins for Minnesota.

Holtmann is not bad at developing players. A lot of them have gone onto the next level and played well enough. But he can't coach a cohesive team. Offenses are baffling, defenses are soft, and the overall vibe of the team is just boring. It's hard to watch. In fact, I've watched far less college basketball under his regime than I thought possible. It used to make me sad, but now I see the silver linings (more time for other things).

I hope Ohio State moves on. The sooner the better.
    A-freaking-men. I agree with everything you said here.

Let's put it this way. My son and I watch a lot of sports together. Last night Dayton and OSU were on at the same time. Didn't even consider putting the OSU game on. We watched the Dayton Flyers. I pray the incoming AD understands what is happening in Cbus.

21. Likes:

Kilgore_Trout (01-24-2024)

I watched the entire game last night. A couple of things stood out to me. 1) Bonner and Middleton chucking up ill advised 3's. 2) tOSU's inability to stop Mast.

I watched the entire game last night. A couple of things stood out to me. 1) Bonner and Middleton chucking up ill advised 3's. 2) tOSU's inability to stop Mast.
    Are they ill-advised if the coach doesn’t advise the players to do anything?

Turn Off Ads?