Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread

Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Funny, back in the day DePaul was a powerhouse. I am getting old.
    Ray Meyer had it going there for a while. He probably had the best team in the nation a couple of times but seemed to always get knocked out early in the NCAA's. They lost to St. Joseph's in the first round one year when they had a great team. That was probably the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history until UMBC beat UVA a few years ago.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-18-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Ray Meyer had it going there for a while. He probably had the best team in the nation a couple of times but seemed to always get knocked out early in the NCAA's. They lost to St. Joseph's in the first round one year when they had a great team. That was probably the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history until UMBC beat UVA a few years ago.
    Didn't Mark Aguirre play for Ray at Depaul?
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Didn't Mark Aguirre play for Ray at Depaul?
    Yes.

6. Likes:

westofyou (12-19-2023)

Joey Meyer destroyed everything his dad built.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Damn hard to replace a legend.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-19-2023),Revering4Blue (12-19-2023),westofyou (12-19-2023)

When I was a kid, I was an Old Dominion basketball fan. It was my parents’ alma mater and we would occasionally get to go to some games. In 1981, ODU upset then #1 ranked DePaul. I wasn’t at that game but we did go to the following home game, and the staff handed out signs that said “DePaul who? ODU 63, DePaul 62!” I was so excited to get that sign. Great memory.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-19-2023),cumberlandreds (12-19-2023),Revering4Blue (12-19-2023),westofyou (12-19-2023)

He had some fun teams

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-19-2023),Revering4Blue (12-19-2023)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Ray Meyer himself said in '96 that the rules for recruiting were different when he was in charge and Joey was an assistant. In those days, you could literally visit a recruit's home every day if you wished to. Thus, a HUGE advantage recruiting the talent-laden Chicago area.

And we Gen Xers (and older) remember full well DePaul games on WGN Nationwide when there were very few (even with ESPN) Nationally televised games. Thus, a then-National Profile which disappeared.

For the last ten years or so of Joey Meyer's tenure, Joey never had the aforementioned advantages at his disposal. A decline was inevitable no matter who replaced Ray Meyer. It's the failures of hire after hire post Joey Meyer that should really be questioned here.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 12-19-2023 at 12:37 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-19-2023),cumberlandreds (12-19-2023),RiverRat13 (12-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Ray Meyer himself said in '96 that the rules for recruiting were different when he was in charge and Joey was an assistant. In those days, you could literally visit a recruit's home every day if you wished to. Thus, a HUGE advantage recruiting the talent-laden Chicago area.

And we Gen Xers (and older) remember full well DePaul games on WGN Nationwide when there were very few (even with ESPN) Nationally televised games. Thus, a then-National Profile which disappeared.

For the last ten years or so of Joey Meyer's tenure, Joey never had the aforementioned advantages at his disposal. A decline was inevitable no matter who replaced Ray Meyer. It's the failures of hire after hire post Joey Meyer that should really be questioned here.
    I had to go look up Joey's record. In 13 years he was 231-158 for a .594 winning %. Not too shabby. He made the NCAAT 7 of his first 8 years. Won 20+ six times. His "downfall" coincided with DePaul joining a conference.

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-19-2023),Revering4Blue (12-20-2023)

Ray Meyer always seemed to me to be such a nice man.

Ray Mears, on the other hand, I couldn't stand!
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Ray Meyer always seemed to me to be such a nice man.

Ray Mears, on the other hand, I couldn't stand!
    Ray Mears beat your Wildcats a few more times than Meyer did...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Ray Mears beat your Wildcats a few more times than Meyer did...
    They played them a lot more too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

They played them a lot more too.
    Exactly. DePaul was not a rival of UK

Last night Duke beat Baylor. That was Scheyer's 1st win over a Top Ten team.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...of-his-career/

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Last night Duke beat Baylor. That was Scheyer's 1st win over a Top Ten team.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...of-his-career/
    Haven't been impressed with Scheyer since he took over. I would say he can recruit but the Duke letterhead sells itself. Next year will be his trial by fire with Cooper Flagg and possibly others coming in.

Only thing that will save his job is that Coach K produced next to nothing in assistants and former players who have went on to have great coaching careers. There is no Daggum Roy Williams at Kansas to take over at UNC and continue Dean Smiths legacy.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

24. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-22-2023)

Turn Off Ads?