Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2023 MLS Thread

Re: 2023 MLS Thread

Congrats to Cincinnati for kickin' ass!
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

Chip R (10-30-2023),Tadasimha (11-05-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Just got back from the Crew game. Absolutely incredible how bad PRO Referees are. How Muyumba didn't get a 2nd yellow is beyond me

Cincinnati vs. Columbus in the East finals. How much local attention is it getting and are any of you going to the game?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Cincinnati vs. Columbus in the East finals. How much local attention is it getting and are any of you going to the game?
    I’ll be there. We’ve had FCC season tickets since year 1. Ironically, the only home game we missed all year was the first Hell is Real game.

As far as local attention, I’m not sure as I’m not that connected to local news/etc. There’s a pretty hardcore fan base that’s super loyal to the club, but I’m not sure how much your casual sports fan is aware. It gets tougher to get eyeballs in the fall with all the varied college football loyalties in this area and the Bengals being the dominant force in the market.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

7. Likes:

Chip R (11-28-2023),M2 (11-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I’ll be there. We’ve had FCC season tickets since year 1. Ironically, the only home game we missed all year was the first Hell is Real game.

As far as local attention, I’m not sure as I’m not that connected to local news/etc. There’s a pretty hardcore fan base that’s super loyal to the club, but I’m not sure how much your casual sports fan is aware. It gets tougher to get eyeballs in the fall with all the varied college football loyalties in this area and the Bengals being the dominant force in the market.
    Also, RedsFest is on Saturday too. The good news is that you can go to RedsFest then walk a relatively short distance to TQL for Hell Is Real III.

Also, someone please explain to me why the 1st round of the MLS playoffs is best of 3 and the remaining rounds are win or go home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Also, RedsFest is on Saturday too. The good news is that you can go to RedsFest then walk a relatively short distance to TQL for Hell Is Real III.

Also, someone please explain to me why the 1st round of the MLS playoffs is best of 3 and the remaining rounds are win or go home.
    MLS changes their playoff format basically every year, but I think the idea there is to make sure everyone that makes the playoffs gets at least 2 games and a home game and lessens the potential for upsets by a single elimination first round.

10. Likes:

Chip R (11-29-2023),M2 (11-28-2023)

Miazga suspended 3 games.

Driving down from Columbus for it. Was able to get 2 tix right next to Crew section thankfully
    Last edited by Big Red Smokey; 11-29-2023 at 08:04 PM.

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (12-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    Miazga suspended 3 games.

Driving down from Columbus for it. Was able to get 2 tix right next to Crew section thankfully
    Yeah....ya can't go into the refs lockerroom...anytime for any reason. Doesn't matter if your the Defensive Player of the Year.

They lost the playoff game vs PHI that he was already suspended for before this incident.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yeah....ya can't go into the refs lockerroom...anytime for any reason. Doesn't matter if your the Defensive Player of the Year.

They lost the playoff game vs PHI that he was already suspended for before this incident.
    They beat Philadelphia and are playing Columbus on Saturday in the Eastern Conference Finals.

15. Likes:

M2 (12-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    They beat Philadelphia and are playing Columbus on Saturday in the Eastern Conference Finals.
    They didn’t beat Philly. MLS declared them the winner by allowing an offside goal by a player who earlier in the game stepped up to a Philly player, chest to chest, and when the Philly player turned away, fell down holding his face as if being violently struck. An outrageous dive.

There is no media showing the game winning goal was legal. They all show a Cin player slightly offside.
    Only possible justification I can think of is that the game was so boring that the refs wanted to go home, not play extra boring minutes.
    Last edited by Betterread; 12-01-2023 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    They didn’t beat Philly. MLS declared them the winner by allowing an offside goal by a player who earlier in the game stepped up to a Philly player, chest to chest, and when the Philly player turned away, fell down holding his face as if being violently struck. An outrageous dive.

There is no media showing the game winning goal was legal. They all show a Cin player slightly offside.
    Only possible justification I can think of is that the game was so boring that the refs wanted to go home, not play extra boring minutes.
    They beat Philly 1-0. See ya tomorrow.

18. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-01-2023)

The TV angle was from behind the play so while he does look offside you can’t be totally sure.

I can’t believe that was the only angle they had given it was a playoff game, but apparently it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post

I am 1,000% all right with that not being called. If anything, the offside put the FCC guy at a disadvantage because he had to come back across the defender to play down the header for the assist. By the time the ball reached his head, there were four Philly defenders goalside of him. I know that gets called and you can make a letter of the law case for why it should be, but I'm not a letter of the law type of person. I am beyond fine with the ref swallowing his whistle on that play. The ball got played through the Philly defense not over it. Maybe Philly shouldn't have left two attackers unmarked right in front of the goal.

If I could one thing about the rules of the game it would be that you have to be offside when you receive the ball for it count as offsides. Otherwise your advantage has been negated.

21. Likes:

Chip R (12-01-2023),SunDeck (12-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I am 1,000% all right with that not being called. If anything, the offside put the FCC guy at a disadvantage because he had to come back across the defender to play down the header for the assist. By the time the ball reached his head, there were four Philly defenders goalside of him. I know that gets called and you can make a letter of the law case for why it should be, but I'm not a letter of the law type of person. I am beyond fine with the ref swallowing his whistle on that play. The ball got played through the Philly defense not over it. Maybe Philly shouldn't have left two attackers unmarked right in front of the goal.

If I could one thing about the rules of the game it would be that you have to be offside when you receive the ball for it count as offsides. Otherwise your advantage has been negated.
    The offside rule should be the same as the illegal forward pass in football. The entire man has to be completely past the last defender. Makes it so much easier to figure out and would lead to more goals.

23. Likes:

M2 (12-01-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The offside rule should be the same as the illegal forward pass in football. The entire man has to be completely past the last defender. Makes it so much easier to figure out and would lead to more goals.
    Totally agreed. That plus the tweak you still have to be ahead of the defense when you receive the ball and we'd be cooking.

Turn Off Ads?