Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autism awareness

Re: Autism awareness

My guess is that you've showed her nothing but love, both for her brother and her. And you've showed her that in your family, you don't give up on someone who goes through difficulties.

Whatever feelings of being slighted now will be understood as she gets older. Or not. If she's anything like you, she's an empath, and she knows your heart.

What kind of lesson do you think you would have taught her about life if you had been less devoted or indifferent to her brother? Your actions spoke louder than any words could have.

She's lucky to have a man like you for a father.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Likes:

goreds2 (04-03-2023),M2 (04-06-2023),RedEye (04-14-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks, man. You are a sage, as usual.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Very cool story I read this morning. I had not heard of him prior

https://www.today.com/health/nba-sta...%20the%20limit.

I liked how he said if he knew his diagnosis prior he actually thought that would of being a hindrance to him to make it to the NBA. I always loved basketball but besides shooting I wasn't very good. Its a sport that requires a lot of hand eye coordination/people in your personal space/physical game that stereotypically someone with autism wouldn't like but there you have it.

That's where I am at with the diagnosis. It's good to understand this stuff but it certainly isn't the end all or be all of everything in identity.

6. Likes:

goreds2 (06-17-2023),LiferJim (04-17-2024),Plus Plus (06-18-2023),RFS62 (06-21-2023),Roy Tucker (04-17-2024)

California barbershop to offer free haircuts for kids with autism

FRESNO, Calif. (KSEE/KGPE) – For 6-year-old Elijah, getting a haircut can be hard.

“They always hurt him, they don’t have the patience with him. Like there was another barbershop remember, they saw him walk in, and neither of them wanted to do it,” said Vanessa Palacio, Elijah’s mom.

“Like no, he moved too much,” said Edward Palacio, Elijah’s mom.

“It sucks you know? The other place we were going, they kept on giving him red marks because of the amount of moving he does,” said Vanessa.

But it was a completely different story at the Always Faded Barbershop in Fresno on Monday afternoon.

'We're so blown away': Fresno barbershop to offer free haircuts for kids with autism.
    “He’ll be crying, he’ll be impatient, but out of all the barbershops we’ve had, this is the first one, where he’s literally falling asleep,” Vanessa said.

They say they were so stunned seeing their son, who has autism, so relaxed and comfortable getting a haircut, they pulled out their phones to take a video.

“We’re so blown away,” said Edward. “By how relaxed he is.”

“We’re flabbergasted,” said Vanessa.

Owner Elias Gonzalez says despite only opening his business two months ago, he knew he wanted to find a way to give back to the community. His fiance suggested doing something for Autism Awareness Month- and the idea was born.

“Certain days out of the week we’ll just offer free haircuts for individuals with autism.”

Gonzalez says he wanted to spread awareness
    “It’s the touch sensory stuff- or it’s the music- or it’s you know big crowds. So as soon as it hits three o’clock, I make sure to turn off the music and just keep a quiet mellow environment.”

He says they even spent time training staff on the best ways to make kids with autism feel more secure and to focus on being patient.

For the month of April, individuals with autism can come in on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. to get a free haircut.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...sm/ar-BB1lJaPa
    Last edited by goreds2; 04-16-2024 at 07:48 PM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-17-2024),LiferJim (04-17-2024),M2 (04-17-2024),Revering4Blue (04-18-2024),Roy Tucker (04-17-2024),ShyGuy (04-18-2024)

I always liked getting haircuts since I was a kid. But I've heard some kids with autism don't like having their head touched without turning away. In general I'd feel more awkward trying to make conversations with the barber if they like talking a lot.

I've seen therapists about this condition. One played it up a decent amount in conversations with me while one I see now that label if you will never comes up at all.

My Life's Mantra in many ways: It Is What It Is

10. Likes:

goreds2 (04-22-2024),LiferJim (04-18-2024),Roy Tucker (04-21-2024)

Turn Off Ads?